Saturday, May 5, 2012

Freedom in Christ!

photospublicdomain
I have been going through a journey of self reflection lately.....Do I really understand faith? Do I really know God's grace? What's the meaning and purpose of God's law?

As I read the bible for new revelations, God began to unravel so many things to me. First of all, I am so amazed by God. The law of God reveals his holiness, righteousness, faithfulness and perfection. (Romans 7:12 "So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good"). He is flawless. Yet he choose to love us, who are in every way imperfect and sinful. I was once a rebellious teenager, breaking every rule that my parents set for me and doing everything that they told me not to do. I messed up my life, and couldn't handle the failures in my relationships and studies, the fears and insecurities about my future. One night, I broke down before the Lord, realizing how wrong I was to think that I could do it on my own. I asked the Lord to come into my life and change me. 

Since Jesus became my savior and Lord, my life was transformed. I experienced so much joy and grace in my life that I began to see hope. Now when I am faced with uncertainties, failures and negative thoughts, I am no longer fearful because I know God's grace is abundant. That is the essence of my faith.  2 Corithians 4:18 "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal". My joy is no longer based on circumstances; when I am faced with sickness, loss, and difficulties I am able to draw strength from God and find grace in him. In fact during times of troubles, God's grace will be even more abundant in my life. God delights in weakness because when we are weak God will be strong in our lives. 2 Corithians 12:9 "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.".

How wonderful! It brings blessing to my heart, just knowing the awesome God whom I serve. 

Some people may think that the law is to restrict out lives. On the contrary, the law points us to Jesus, it  makes us realized how sinful and helpless we are. The Lord knows that sin is destructive, it will ruin our lives and destroy us. The law is like a sign warning us of the dangers of sin. 

Knowing the law does not save our lives, only Jesus Christ can saves us from the condemnation of sin. God sent Jesus to die on the cross to redeem us from our sins so that we can receive a life that is eternal. Ephesians 1:7 "In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace."He sets us free from our old ways and gives us a new life with Christ! Galatians 5:1 "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

When I understand how much God loves me, I will be able to obey his commands by loving him and loving my neighbors as myself. I no longer need to strive for the things of this world because Christ lives in me. Life becomes more meaningful and fulfilling when we live our lives in accordance to his will. This to me,  is true freedom!